My Final Major Project is an adaptation of ‘The Corpse Bride’, directed by Tim Burton, for Adult theatre. I chose to take my design for Emily through to construction. For my final costume I had the idea to show the Underworld using ultraviolet light, so when designing for those characters I used lots of neon and bright colours. It is unusual for the dead to be shown as colourful and the living to be shown in dull colours. Throughout the textile process, I used techniques including sublimation printing, repeats on CAD and laser cutting.
I have improved and developed my skills greatly over four years at university: within design, textiles, and construction, as well as gaining more confidence within myself. My placement year was spent gaining new skills with Mico Couture. I also had the opportunity to collaborate with Cameron Stott Films which really helped me to prepare for final year and for moving onto my Textiles MA.
In second year, I worked on an 1890’s costume for Lucy Westenra, a character in Bram Stoker’s Dracula. The garments are a combination of a bustle, petticoat, corset, bodice with rouleau loops and skirt.